This recipe is so easy and delicious. George asks me to make it all the time and it contains zero starch!
You will need:
- 150g butter
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
Begin by making the base:
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Grease and line the base and sides of a slice tin.
- Combine 100g butter and ½ cup sugar in an electric mixer, add 1 egg and beat gently. Fold through the flour and ¼ cup desiccated coconut.
- Add the mixture to the prepared tin and use your fingers to spread it evenly along the base.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until the base is golden.
To make the lemon curd:
- Place 50g butter, ½ cup sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice and 1 whisked egg in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir continuously as the mixture heats up, you do not want to end up with egg cooking on the bottom!
- Allow the curd to boil and thicken over 5-10 mins then remove from heat and spread over prepared base.
For the topping:
- Hand-whisk 2 eggs and remaining ½ cup sugar in a large bowl.
- Fold through the remaining desiccated coconut and coconut flakes until combined.
- Use your fingers to break up the topping and sprinkle it over the lemon curd.
- Bake in oven for 25 mins or until the top is evenly golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in tin before serving.
Can be kept for up to a week and tastes great straight out of the fridge!