When I first heard about kale chips I was very sceptical. A lettuce-like vegetable to substitute for potato? I don’t think so.
Now, I am kale obsessed. These chips are crunchy and tasty and GOOD FOR YOU. IMAGINE IT! Plus you can make them whatever flavour you want. WIN! WIN!
So to whip up these bad boys, all you really need is a bunch of kale and whatever else is sitting around your kitchen.
- Preheat oven to 160oC. Line a tray with baking paper.
- Wash the kale and allow to dry. Then break it up into little chip sized pieces. Be sure to discard ALL of the tough stem.
- In a bowl add your kale and a generous amount of olive oil. I usually use chilli oil because I like mine spicy!
- Sprinkle with paprika or any spices you desire. You need to make sure that the kale is well coated in the oil and spices. Use your hands to mix it together. Do not make it soggy though.
- Spread the kale out on the baking paper so none of it is overlapping. The more space you have between the pieces, the crunchier they will be.
- Bake for 5 minutes and check on the colour and crunchiness. They should have turned bright green with golden edges. Cook them to your taste. You can leave them green and juicy, or cook for another 5 minutes until they are completely golden and crunchy. I like to do mine somewhere in between.
And voila! Delicious, easy, starch-free chips that everyone can enjoy!